Last Breath re-creates in heart-stopping detail what happens to our bodies and our minds in the perilous last moments of life when an extreme adventure goes awry.
Combining the adrenaline high of extreme sports with the startling facts of physiological reality, veteran travel and outdoor sports writer Peter Stark narrates a series of adventure stories in which thrill can cross the line to mortal peril.
Each death or brush with death is at once a suspense story, a cautionary tale, and a medical thriller. Will they survive, or will they succumb?
Readers will shiver with a man lost in the snowy woods, suffering from hypothermia and tearing off his clothes as he’s burning up from the cold; they will hallucinate with a young woman stranded at the top of Annapurna as she experiences a cerebral edema; and while a kayaker tumbles helplessly underwater for two minutes, five minutes, ten minutes, readers, too, will gasp for their last breath.
Last Breath was translated into seven languages and named Amazon.com’s No. 1 Sports/Outdoor Book of 2001.
View the slideshow below of covers for different translations of Last Breath
- This was the proposed US cover before the change to the current paperback cover.
- This is the current US and Canada hardback cover
- This is the British isles and Ireland hardback cover
- This is the Dutch translation hardback cover
- The is the French translation hardback cover; it’s rather existential.
- This is the Italian translation hardback cover
- This is the Polish translation hardback cover
“a fascinating blend of storytelling and science.” — The New York Daily News
“Forget the edge of your seat. Last Breath takes you to the edge of your life, for a pulse-pounding glimpse into the Great Beyond. There are many ways to risk your life in the out-of-doors, and Stark has captured them in exquisite and harrowing detail.” -– Jim Robbins, Author of A Symphony in the Brain